Sunday, December 23, 2007

I saw into his soul!

I went to church today. It was the first time in about a year. I wasn't really excited, in fact, I was dreading it. It's like that quote from Garden State that Alex has on his page: it doesn't have that good home feeling anymore. My mom and I pick up this lady who has MS. She doesn't try to be a burden on anyone, but in the process she becomes one. It's tough because we can't say no and don't truly want to. Our church has dwindled down from around a hundred people when I was growing up to only about 10 now. It's pretty sad really.

Anyway, we had gone to go pick up that lady and found that she had fallen asleep and was not ready for church. She knew she wouldn't be able to stay awake, so my mom and I were off to church by ourselves. As we took a corner headed towards our church near downtown LA, I saw this unforgettable sight. A homeless man had his pants down and his back facing the street as he maneuvered to his shopping cart (his home). I instantly felt sorry for him; to have nothing--it was very sad.

As we took the turn and drove closer I saw, to my dismay, his soul!; but it was not without shadowed doubt. For in between the the dirt speckled flesh was the dark abyss of feces. Yes...that's right...there was poop between his cheeks. I responded with utter disbelief. I saw into his soul! Well....sort of. I couldn't quite see through all the poop that was smeared from top to bottom of his crack.

I hope to not have to see the dark abysses again...at least not till I'm back at home in Nampa, haha.

1 comment:

Alex Hackett said...

Oh boy! That is really sad, a little funny since it is so applicable, but mainly sad. Since you saw into his "soul" could you tell if he'd been saved? Ha. Well its nice to see you blogging more. Maybe Matt will reveal his "soul" to you when we get back to school. Maybe if you ask politely.